St. Pauli Congregation History: 1900 – 1949
1900 The cornerstone for the new church was laid by the Reverend Joh Granskau. The church was constructed by three congregational members: Lars Hagen, August Faehn, and Halvor Markrud, with the assistance of other members.
The partially furnished church cost $2105.50. Of this sum the St. Pauli Ladies Aid furnished $250.00, the Wheatland Ladies Aid $222.50 and the Young Peoples Society $200.00 and an organ.
1901 Reverend Sjur Rislov resigned as pastor.
1902 Reverend John Madsen took over the call. A new parsonage was built at the cost of $2567.82 and St Pauli paid $922.61.
1904 The congregation societies worked continuously to furnish the church, which provided a baptismal font, alter, pulpit, and cluster lamps. The church bell was dedicated by the president and Reverend T.H. Dahl. From that time on, the congregation developed more activity in church work outside the congregation. In certain years, the contributions to these activities exceeded the expenses within the congregation.
1912 Reverend Madsen resigned. Reverend J.J. Haanstad assumed the call. He served as congregation pastor until his death in 1923.
1923 Reverend E. Jorgenson served as temporary pastor.
1924 Reverend Vold was installed as pastor. The Young Peoples Society was reorganized as the St. Pauli Luther League on October 5.
1927 The two Ladies Aids were combined into one society under the name of St. Pauli Ladies Aid. The basement was built under the church at a cost of $2191.60. The Ladies provided $1328.00. In later years the Luther League installed Delco Lights and a piano.
1930 Reverend J. Vold resigned. Reverend CK Malmin was called in his place and was installed in August.
1936 Reverend CK Malmin resigned on October 21. Reverend L.J. Odland served temporarily.
1937 Reverend A.H. Holm was installed on October 24.
1941 Reverend A.H. Holm resigned in November. Reverend Hofstad served temporarily.
The regular services and other church work were carried out exclusively in the Norwegian language. However, English gradually came into use and for a time, one half of the regular services were in English. The same year, the Norwegian services were discontinued.
1942 Reverend Harold Engh was installed as pastor in August.
1944 A tornado swept through Florence on June 17, destroying the parish parsonage and all of the ministerial records. A new parsonage was purchased on June 19, 1944.
1949 The interior of the church was re-done. Pastor Engh and Horace Ustrud drew the plans and the men of the congregation helped with the work.